Tax Preparation Check List
(Download the check list at the end of this page)
DOCUMENTS OR INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR YOUR TAX PREPARATION
1- Government issued
picture identification (Drivers license/ID) for self and spouse. APPLIES TO NEW CLIENTS ONLY.
2- Social Security cards and date(s) of birth for you, your
spouse and dependents. APPLIES TO NEW CLIENTS ONLY.
3- Health insurance verification document for all persons listed on the tax return - FORM 1095, (A, B or C). *
4- If you are
claiming dependents and both parents are not listed on the same return please provide a document confirming the dependent resides at your
address. E.g. Court order, 1095 (health insurance form), school or medical record.
- For non-biological dependenst please provide court order or wrriten parental consent.
IMPORTANT - ALL TAX DOCUMENTS ARE SCANNED BEFORE WE PREPARE YOUR TAXES, PLEASE HAVE ALL DOCUMENTS READY IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR
INCOME INFORMATION - Most people will need
- W2 forms for you and your spouse.
- Copy of previous year tax return. (Helpful for new clients, not needed if we prepared your taxes last
- Bank Account and routing number if you want direct deposit or tax payment from your account.
- 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, or K-1s for investment or interest income.
- 1099-G forms for unemployment income, or state or local tax refunds.
- SSA-1099 for Social Security benefits received.
- 1099-R Form for payments/distributions from IRAs or retirement plans.
- 1099-C forms for cancellation of debt.
- 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC forms for you and your spouse for independent contractor work (Uber,Lyft, Doordash
- All other 1099 or 1098's received.
- Alimony received.
- Small Business Income - Provide income/expense statement. See Business
Center for more information.
- Residential Rental Property - Provide income/expense statement. See Business Center for more information.
- Miscellaneous income: jury duty, gambling winnings, Medical Savings Account, scholarships, etc.
- Estimated tax payments made during the year (self-employed).
ADJUSTMENTS TO INCOME INFORMATION
1098-E Form for student loan interest paid (or loan statements for student loans).
For teachers, amount paid for classroom supplies.
Records of IRA contributions made during the year.
Receipts for any qualifying energy-efficient home improvements (solar, windows, etc.).
Records of Medical Savings Account (MSA) contributions.
Self-employed health insurance payment records.
Keogh, SEP, SIMPLE, and other self-employed pension plans.
DEDUCTIONS AND CREDITS
- 1098-T Form or school statement for education costs, tuition, books and required supplies.
- Child care costs: provider’s name, phone, address, amount paid, tax ID or social security number.
- Energy Efficiency credits - Home and electric vehicles
- Adoption costs - SSN of child; records of legal, medical and transportation costs.
- All other pertinent tax documents.
SCHEDULE "A" FILERS / ITEMIZE DEDUCTIONS (Long Form)
- Medical and dental expense records. (Must exceed 7.5%
- Real estate taxes paid.
- Vehicle license fees based on value of vehicle.
- Forms 1098: Mortgage interest, private mortgage insurance (PMI), and points you paid.
- Charitable donations: cash amounts, official charity receipts, canceled checks; value of donated property; miles driven and out-of-pocket expenses.
- Subject to 2% limitation - Union Expenses, Work Uniforms, Qualified Educator Expenses, Tax Preparation Fees
Note - due to the 2018 tax reform and increase to the standard deduction less taxpayers will be able to itemize. In order to itemize total
deductions must exceed the following amounts based on filing status.
Single - $12,950
Head of Household - $19,400
Married - $25,900
This is a general list of frequent documents provided by most tax payers. It is not intended to provide personalized tax, investment, legal or other business and professional advice. Additional
information may be requested when your tax return is prepared.